No products in the basket.
DROUGHT RESISTANT LAWN
The superior choice on free draining, light, dry or sandy soils.
Price details per 1.00 kg (VAT: Zero rated)
Buy 5.00 kg at 20% discount
Buy 10.00 kg at 25% discount
Buy 15.00 kg at 30% discount
Buy 20.00 kg at 35% discount
Buy 25.00 kg at 40% discount
Buy 100.00 kg + at 50% discount
Contents ( 1.00 kg )
- 50% KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS cert. USA Lawn Seed
- 30% ESQUIRE certified Amenity Ryegrass
- 20% BRAVEHEART certified Tall Fescue
Contents per acre ( 0.00 kg )
Contents per hectare ( 0.00 kg )
Contents ( 0.00 kg )
Kentucky Bluegrass and deep rooting Tall Fescue are already proven performers in the American turf industry. In fact, they are by far the most popular drought resistant lawn seed combination sold in the United States to date. With new and improved varieties being bred for ‘Better Shade and Drought Tolerance’, ‘Superior Turf Quality’ and ‘Excellent Disease Resistance’ it was only a matter of time before the full potential of these combined species was realised by the UK lawn seed trade.
With good management Kentucky Bluegrass and deep rooting Tall Fescue will produce a very drought resistant, visually pleasing and durable lawn. The unique feature of Kentucky Bluegrass is it becomes dormant in periods of hot or dry weather and then recovers extremely quickly once rainfall and cooler temperatures return. The root system of Tall Fescue draws its moisture requirements from much deeper in the soil than any other lawn grass. Both species are extremely well suited to the UK’s temperate climate and together produce an excellent Drought Resistant Lawn Seed mixture.
The Amenity Perennial Ryegrass acts only as a basic cover while the Kentucky Bluegrass and Tall Fescue become established.
Shallow sow or broadcast the seeds onto a fine, firm and warm seedbed.
Avoid cutting lower than 20-25mm in height and feed well in the autumn and spring to produce a darker, more even colour.
35 to 50 grams per square metre
BEST SOWING TIMES
March to October
Each kg covers a minimum of 20 square metres
- Produce a firm, weed free seedbed clear of large stones and any other debris.
- Rake or harrow over the surface to create a thin layer of fine soil (tilth) approximately 10-20mm deep.
- Split the total quantity of amenity grass seed to be applied into two equal amounts.
- Apply the first half over the entire area either by hand or by using a broadcast spreader.
- Gently work most of the applied seeds into the tilth with a firm rake or harrow.
- Apply the remaining seed in the same way and again, rake or harrow most of them into the tilth.
- Finally, lightly roll or tread over the surface to squeeze the seeds and tilth down into the seedbed. This method ensures the lawn seeds are evenly spread, set at different depths and in good contact with the soil. All of which helps to anchor the seeds in position so as not to float away during heavy or persistant rainfall and to retain the correct moisture level for quicker germination.
- Lawn seed may also be surface sown however, germination may be uneven and significantly slower particularly during periods of prolonged sunny, dry or windy weather even with regular irrigation.