Economy Horse Pasture grass seed mixture must provide:
- Persistent and durable grass species
- Excellent results on most soil types
- Reliability from early and late season sowings
- Suitable varieties for pasture overseeding or repair
- Quick recovery times from cropping or hard grazing
- Responsive growth to fertiliser inputs
- Suitable forage for Haylage or Hay production
Our Economy Horse Pasture is blended from the most common and practical agricultural forage species used for long term grazing. We avoid the inclusion of clover, high sugar hybrid and/or cheap amenity (dwarf) perennial ryegrass varieties and make speed of establishment, ground cover, sward persistence and the ability to recover from grazing the top priorities so the end user has a basic but durable and usable grass sward.
For new pasture the seeds are best broadcast sown over a well prepared, loose seedbed, lightly harrowed or raked and then rolled or firmed down in any way to put the seeds into initmate contact with the soil and soil moisture. Germination and establishment thereafter are reliant on ambient temperature, available moisture and soil fertility.
Ryegrass based economy horse pasture has the advantage of being very responsive to fertiliser inputs should higher grass yields for hard grazing, hay or haylage production be required.