No products in the basket.
250g CHALK SOIL WILDFLOWER SEEDS
For a complete list of the Wildflower species in this 250g mixture, please open the MIX tab below.
Buy 2 with 5% discount each
Buy 4 with 10% discount each
Buy 8 with 15% discount each
Buy 20 with 20% discount each
Buy 40 with 25% discount each
All wildflower seed mixture prices include 20% VAT.
Neutral and lower ph (alkaline) soil types can produce some of the best wildflower meadows. This is usually due to the below average mineral and nutrient content of limestone and chalk based soils preventing other species such as wild grasses from becoming dominant. The wildflowers in this mixture are highly suited to free draining and warmer ground.
Most of these species flower early in the year and again in late summer before the onset of cooler, late autumn weather. Most wildflower species take 6-12 months to establish before flowering so we have included native cornfield annuals for improved first year colour.
Never apply fertiliser to a wildflower area.
1 to 5 grams per square metre
BEST SOWING TIMES
Mid spring to Early autumn
250 grams covers a minimum of 50 square metres
- Rake or harrow the area hard to break up the surface and expose the soil.
- Split the total quantity of wildflower seeds to be applied into two equal amounts. If necessary, add dry sharp sand or sterile topsoil to bulk the mixture up a little.
- Apply the first half over the entire area either by hand or by using a broadcast spreader.
- Apply the remaining seed in the same way.
- Finally, lightly tread over or roll the surface to squeeze the seeds and tilth down into the seedbed. This ensures the seeds are evenly spread and in good contact with the soil which not only helps to anchor the seeds into position (so as not to float away during heavy or persistant rainfall) but to also maintain the correct moisture level for more reliable germination.
- Wildflower meadow seeds may also be surface sown however, germination may be uneven and significantly slower particularly during periods of prolonged sunny, dry or windy weather even with regular irrigation.
This 100% wildflower seeds mixture contains the following native species:
Field Scabious (knautia arvensis)
Meadow Buttercup (ranunculus acris)
Kidney Vetch (anthyllis vulneraria)
Corn Cockle (agrostemma githago)
Greater Knapweed (centaurea scabiosa)
Birdsfoot Trefoil (lotus corniculatus)
Corn Marigold (chrysanthemum segetum)
Salad Burnet (poterium sanguisorba)
Tufted Vetch (vicia cracca)
Field Poppy (papaver rhoeas)
Hoary Plantain (plantago media)
Ladies Bedstraw (galium verum)
Dropwort (filipendula vulgaris)
Corn Chamomile (anthemis arvensis)
Wild Carrot (daucus carota)
Yarrow (achillea millefolium)
Ox-eye Daisy (leucanthemum vulgare)
Self Heal (prunella vugaris)
Wild Margoram (origanum vulgare)
Greater Hawkbit (leontodon hispidus)
Cornflower (centaurea cyanus)